Future Perfect Examples
- Real Madrid is going to play against Manchester City tonight. The match will start at 8 o’clock and end at 9.30. So, by the time we reach home at 10 o’clock, the match will have finished.
- Tomorrow afternoon we’re going to play badminton from 3 o’clock until 4 o’clock. So at 4.30 tomorrow afternoon we will have played badminton.
- I will have finished my homework by the time you come to my house.
- By the time my husband comes, I will have finished cooking his favorite food.
- By the time we get to the airport, our son’s plane will have already arrived.
Time Clause in Future Perfect
In Future Perfect we often use a time clause as part of the sentence we produce. Bear in mind that this time clause always uses the Present Simple. It usually begins with expression by the time. See the pattern below:
By the time + the Present Simple, the Future Perfect.
Example: By the time you reach my house, I will have already been there.
Sometimes we use time expression by + time point in the Future Perfect.
Example: By (the year) 2030, I will have taught English for forty years. You know I started teaching English in 1990.
Future Perfect Tense Exercises
- Jack wasted his money so much that he has just had a few dollars left in his pocket. He …………..( spend ) ……….before the end of the month.
- Dan came to Indonesia on the first of July. Now It’s the 15th of July. He ………..( stay ) in Indonesia for a month by the end of this month.
- My brother was born in 2008. By 2025 he …….. (live) in this world for seventeen years.
- I’m already tired. By the time we reach the next stop, we ….. (run) for more than 2 hours.
- I started cleaning the house at 7 o’clock this morning. Now it’s 9 o’clock and I have just cleaned half of the house. By 11 o’clock I ….. (clean) the house for about 4 hours.
Answer the following questions. Use complete Future Perfect.
- By the time you reach 40, how many jobs will you have had?
- When you are 50, how much money do you think you will have made?
- Twenty years from now, how many foreign cities do you think you will have visited?
- By the time you reach 35, how long do you think you will have been married?
- When you reach 50, mention the most important things you will have reached.
- He will have spent all his money before the end of the month.
- He will have stayed in Indonesia for a month by the end of this month.
- By 2025 he will have lived in this world for seventeen years.
- By the time we reach the next stop, we will have run for more than 2 hours.
- I will have cleaned the house for about 4 hours by 11 o’clock.
Different answers are possible.
- By the time I reach 40, I guess I will have had at least three different jobs.
- When I am 50, I think I will have made at least a million dollars.
- Twenty years from now, I think I will have visited at least 50 foreign cities.
- By the time I reach 35, I’m sure I will have been married for 10 years.
- When I reach 50, I will have performed Hajj. Also, I will have made my mother live a better life. Also, I will have had a few kids.